Well, I warned you it’d be a while since you heard for me. Turns out graduate school is no joke when it comes to final season. That said, I did manage to do some reading over the past couple weeks. Just not a lot of writing about it. In lieu of a traditional Weekly Pull rundown, I’m just going to list all the comics I read since last time with a “score.” And maybe a note or two.
- Avengers Assemble #25 [5/5] Loved It
- This book is now on my (to-be-updated) pull list. Anya has become a favorite character of mine, and her interplay with Jess is golden.
- All-New X-Men #19 [3/5] Indifferent
- Morning Glories #35 [4/5] Liked It
- Scarlet Spider #24 [3/5] Indifferent
- I liked it at first, but the more I thought about it, the more uncomfortable I became with what was done to Kaine.
- Pretty Deadly #2 [5/5] Loved It
- Hawkeye #14 [4/5] Liked It
- Amazing X-Men #2 [3/5] Indifferent
- Marvel Knights X-Men #2 [3/5] Indifferent
- Noir #2 [3/5] Indifferent
- Velvet #2 [5/5] Loved It
- Amazing Spider-Man #700.1 [4/5] Liked It
- It’s really nice to be able to read a Peter story. Heartwarming, if simple. And that art!
- Amazing Spider-Man #700.2 [4/5] Liked It
- Amazing Spider-Man #700.3 [4/5] Liked It
- Cataclysm: Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #2 [4/5] Liked It
- I’m reading for Cloak & Dagger, but Bombshell’s nifty, and I’m really coming to love Miles.
- Uncanny X-Men #15.INH [4/5] Liked It
- Anka’s art and some really classic moments make up for the general oddness of some of the dialogue. This issue was just fun. I’m sorry to all who didn’t care for it.
- Inhumanity: Awakening #1 [4/5] Liked It
- I’ll be honest. At first, I was thinking I was going to dislike it for the trendy/text/social media stuff. But as the issue went along, and as it began to wrestle with online bullying, depression, and suicide, I realized I was beginning to develop a pit in my stomach. Props go to this story for making me really feel something. And for another glance at some recently-lost beloved characters.
- Batgirl #26 [4/5] Liked It
- The really-frequently-delayed conclusion to Wanted was actually better than I expected. One of the chief complaints about this series from the start has been Barbara being too much of a victim, but this issue saw her (finally) saying to hell with that and being kinda hardcore. It feels like Batgirl is truly back.
- Astro City #7 [4/5] Liked It
- Sex Criminals #1 [5/5] Loved It
- Look, this is not a book I’d generally buy. In fact, I only read it because the first issue was free. And I don’t know that I’ll buy more issues, because hey, I’m what some of you call a prude. But I will say this: this was hilarious. Just a fantastically-written book. I quite understand why it’s been selling out.
I also read (and loved) the second trade collection of Brubaker’s Catwoman (No Easy Way Down) and the five issue (#0-#4) Kelly Sue DeConnick & Phil Noto run of Ghost (which may be, though I’d have to check to verify, the first Dark Horse mini I’ve ever read). KSD’s launching a new run on Ghost soon (next week, maybe?) and I’d highly recommend checking it out because it’s both very like and very unlike her Marvel stuff (which is really great).
Based on a decent response on Tumblr, I’m going to be writing up some year-end thoughts in the coming weeks, so keep an eye peeled for that. And as always, if you’re reading any of these books and want to talk about them with me in more detail, the comments section is always open!